EDUCATION AT THE ENGLISH PREPARATORY SCHOOL
The medium of instruction at Yeditepe University is English. An English proficiency exam is held prior to the beginning of every academic year, in accordance with the date, time and venue announced by the Rector's office.
Students who score the minimum score 79 from the TOEFL iBT test (TOEFL Computer based 213; TOEFL paper based 550) are considered exempt from the English Preparatory Program (TOEFL scores are valid for 2 years.)
Students who want to submit a TOEFL score are expected to take the test at the institutions below. Exam results from other institutions in Turkey are not accepted.
(TOEFL exams taken in a TOEFL center in other countries are accepted. However, TOEFL Home Edition is not accepted.)
YEDİTEPE UNIVERSITY, ISTANBUL - Center Code: STN20056A (TOEFL iBT Test Dates)
ISTANBUL TECHNICAL UNIVERSITY, ISTANBUL – Center Code: ITTR153A
MIDDLE EAST TECHNICAL UNIVERSITY, ANKARA - Center Code: STN10463A
Students who take the TOEFL exam are required to enter 7050, the TOEFL institution code for Yeditepe University, for direct reporting of scores to the English Preparatory School. TOEFL scores that are not sent directly to Yeditepe University Preparatory School by the TOEFL Administration (ETS) will not be accepted as valid.
Students who do not provide valid documents that report the minimum accepted scores by the university are required to take the English Proficiency Test administered by the English Preparatory School.
IELTS test scores are not valid at our institution.
Duration of Education
The English Preparatory Program consists of three academic semesters, fall - spring and summer. However, the Preparatory Programs for the Department of Translation Studies, English Language and Literature and English Language Teaching consist of fall and spring semesters; summer education can be organized for these programs.
Foreign Language Proficiency Exam
- An English proficiency exam for newcomers is held prior to the beginning of every academic year, in accordance with the date, time and venue announced by the Rector's office.
- Students already enrolled in the Preparatory Program are eligible to take the Proficiency Exam.
- Students who score a minimum of 60 out of 100 go to their faculties. The exam consists of a multiple choice test of 80 questions and a writing section. In the writing section, students are expected to choose one of the three different topics and write an essay of around 300 words. (Please see ‘Sample Proficiency Exam’ and 'Answer Key')
- English Language Proficiency Exam is valid for two years.
- There is no make up for English Language Proficiency Exam.
- Students from the Faculty of Fine Arts Graphic Design, Fashion and Textile Design, Plastic Arts, Arts Management, and Theater Departments and the School of Applied Science have to score at least 50 out of 100 to pass the English Language Proficiency Exam.
- Students from the Translation Studies, English Language and Literature and English Language Teaching Departments have to score at least 65 out of 100 to pass the Foreign Language Proficiency Exam. In addition, students in English Language Teaching, English Language and Literature and Translation Studies must score at least 60 out of 100 from the speaking and writing skills sections in this exam.
English Language Placement Exam
- Students who have not achieved the specified minimum score on the proficiency exam or have not taken the exam are required to take the English Language Placement Exam. Students already enrolled at the English Language Preparatory Program, are also eligible to take the English Language Placement Exam.
- There is no make up for English Language Placement Exam.
- The levels of the students are determined according to the score they get in the exam, and they are placed accordingly.
- English Language Literature, English Language Teaching and Translation Studies programs do not have a English Language Placement Exam. These students are allocated to the groups according to their scores on the English Language Proficiency Examination.
English Language Preparatory Program Groups
- The English Preparatory School program consists of three groups.
- Group A: (Common European Framework of Reference Level A1-A2): Students who succeed in group A continue to the upper group B1. In case of failure, they repeat their education in the same group.
- Group B1: Students who succeed in group B1 continue to the upper group B2. In case of failure, they repeat their education in the same group.
- Group B2: Students who succeed in group B2 start their undergraduate program. In case of failure, they repeat their education in the same group.
Students may study in the English Preparatory School for up to two academic years. Those who cannot complete the program successfully at the end of two years have the option to defer enrolment for one year.
The registration of students who do not defer enrolment at the end of two years or those who defer enrolment for one year but cannot pass the proficiency exam will be cancelled. Those whose registration is cancelled because they have not successfully completed the program (excluding those who are students of Faculty of Education English Language Teaching Department, Faculty of Arts and Sciences Translation and Interpreting Studies, English Language and Literature and Turkish Language and Literature Departments) have the right to be placed at a Turkish medium university in the same department by ÖSYM according to criteria determined by YÖK based on their university entrance exam score.
Student attendance is obligatory at the English Preparatory School.